Re: [IP] insurance and marriage

In a message dated 10/4/02 10:45:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> .  So I had this bright idea that
> maybe we could get legally married in November, just go before a Judge and
> get
> the license, nothing else, and have the regular ceremony like we normally
> would
> have in March.  I would change my name in March.  We live together and have
> joint bank account already.  Then I could get on his health insurance when
> my
> job here ends, and not need COBRA.  Is that legal?  Is it insurance fraud?
> Is
> it a practical idea?  Anything I may not have thought of?  What are the
> rules
> about being married and getting on a spouse's insurance?  Thanks!
> Julie
> Britt
> You may be able to get on his insurance & if you have a small claim, it no
doubt would be paid, but if you were to have a very large claim, they begin
to ask question, request certain proof documents, end up turning the claim
down, you would need to hire an attorney and may still lose your claim,
Insurance is based honest answer to question, if not factual the company
can refuse to pay a claim, being in the insurance business 39 years I have
seen it happen  many times.
Elzie Speir