[IP] Re: Is this a *Breakthrough*????

In a message dated 10/3/02 11:11:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Sure makes you wonder why the UK is so far behind the times.   :-(((
> Jan (~_^)
> -
Yes, after living there for two years, I figured my daughter's life was
dependent on our family moving back to Canada. :(

I was shocked to go to a diabetes family weekend in England and to find that
virtually all the children were injecting with a 75/25  pre-mixed insulin.
Also the diabetes nurse told me NOT to go to Claire's (age 4 at the time)
school at lunch to test bgs.  They were also unhappy that she had 3
injections per day (she was dx'd in Canada), but "seeing as we were already
doing that, we could continue".  They preferred just two a day.
     NPH didn't work well at all on Claire and her bgs went to 300-400 almost
every day after school.  Head doctor told me not to worry about it, because
"it was only for a few hours everyday".  Luckily I spent time on the internet
and discovered insulin pumps.
     However, the UK gov't has great benefits (financial) if you have a child
with medical problems and also pays for all diabetic supplies "on the list".

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8