Re: [IP] Day 1 on the Animas Pump

Have you used any other insulin pumps before?  Keep in mind, my perspective is
that of a Disetronic H-Tron Plus user.

1) Temp Basals - On The H-Tron, basals can be set anywhere from 10% of regular
basal all the way upto 200%.  On the Animas, I am restricted to using 50% -
190% (0% is also an option).  When exercising strenuously, say long distance
bicycling, running, hiking, etc, 50% basals are still too high.  I often need
to goto 20%-30% to maintain my bg @ 80-120 mg/dl.  The solution according to
the pump rep is to create a separate basal profile that is 50% less than my
normal basal, and then from there set a temp basal of 50%, thus equating to 25%
of my normal basal.  I don't like this solution at all whatsoever.

2)Cartridge volume readings - The animas will only show volumes in increments
of 5 units (260, 255, 250 etc).  The H-Tron shows it in tenths (260.1, 260,
259.9, etc). The animas will show you your current basal in hundredths (1.60),
but when you want to see total daily basal it will only show you to the nearest
rounded unit (35).  The H-Tron will show you your actual basal to the nearest
tenth (ie 35.1).  On the animas to view your actual 24hr basal you need to
review each individual basal segment.  Rounding to the nearest unit is
unacceptable, whenever I have made basal changes, they rarely exceed a couple
of tenths @ a time.

3)Battery compartment - (4) 357 batteries need to be manipulated in a very
tight space ever just so.  If they are inproperly inserted you need to use a
special little tool to shoehorn them out.  This same little tool is needed to
replace the red waterproofing red around the compartment every time you replace
the batteries.  Both of these operations require much in the way of delicate &
precise manual dexterity.....and I'm not old or infirmed, or weak. I'm only 26
y/o!  You must carry this little tool around or risk not being able to replace
your batteries (if you inserted them inproperly in the 1st place.  The H-Tron
batteries are easily changed with any US coin (used like a screwdriver to
dethread the batteries.

4)Priming - This is really dangerous in my opinion.  To prime, the pump must be
active and not in suspend mode.  On the disetronic, the pump is always in
suspend to prime.

5)Key presses - The menus & submenus require many more keypresses than the H-
Tron does to retrieve the same information and/or functions.  The Animas has a
nice feature of retaining more insulin delivery history.

6) LCD Screen - As I've said, I love the backlight.  BUT, the screen itself
seems much more prone to damage than the H-Tron screen which has a clear, hard
plastic covering.

7) Audio Bolus Button - The Animas like the H-Tron has a button that can be
depressed inder clothing to discreetly give boluses.  On the Disetronic, when
the audio is shut off, the delivery confirmation beeps are shut off as well.
This is not an option on the Animas, and thus to me, seems to take awy from
being able to "discreetly" bolus.  Although not much of a hinderence to me, the
ladies might not like this, and thus be better served by the Minimed remote, or
the Disetronic.

It's not a bad pump.  It is discreet looking; it looks more like a beeper than
a Disetronic or Paradigm does.  It has some features which seem as if they
would appeal more to the parents of young pumpers.

I'll have more to report in the future, especially after I get a chance to
compare vs. the D-Tron Plus at the end of October.