Re: [IP] Advice needed on middle of the night checks

>From: "Jonelle Davis" <email @ redacted>
>To: <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] Advice needed on middle of the night checks
>Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 21:26:19 -0400
>To all parents, past and present, of toddlers/kids with diabetes,
>Our son is 3 1/2 years-old.  He has been on an insulin pump for a year and
>half.  We were recently questioned about why we have not cut back on the
>number of BG checks we do.  We check him before every  meal, sometimes mid
>morning, always mid afternoon, when we go to bed, and then at 3 a.m.  The
>check mostly in question is the 3 a.m. check.  We were told that it may
>been necessary while he was on MDI with NPH, but  should not be necessary
>since he is on an insulin pump.  While that sounds tempting, from our
>sleep-deprived point of view, we are not sure that it is safe for him.  We
>have discovered several lows over the past year and a half, with numbers in
>the 50's, which prompted a basal rate change at 1 a.m.  Then, days or weeks
>later, the 3 a.m. check will show that the 1 a.m. basal rate needed to go
>back up, usually corresponding to a growth spurt.
>We would really appreciate your advice.  I wrote his diabetes care
>professional about this, too.
>Thank you,
>Jonelle and Mark
>Parents of Zach (Z!), dxd at 13 months of age, and Mitchell, age 6, who can
>spot a low just by looking at his brother.

My 13 year old daughter has been on a 508 pump for about 2 years. My husband
and I still takes turns testing her at night. We communicate by writing her
numbers on a "white" board on her desk. If she is high we write the
correction we give and if she is low we jot down how much juice she slurps
without waking up! Some nights are better than others. If she has played
volleyball for 3 hours after school, I'll be up at 12 and 3 and maybe
in-between. Since she is a "teenager" sometimes there is no reason other
than mood swing to account for the ups and downs. Occasionally we get a full
night sleep, when things are sort of "normal" for a full day or two.

I should also mention that she has celiac disease, lots of diabetics (some
say up to 15-20%) have this. We couldn't handle it without our trusty pump.

Mom of four (but just one diabetic/celiac)