Re: [IP] Re: [IPn] (Fwd) California Assembly Bill 481

At 12:50 PM 10/2/02 -0400, you wrote:
 >Can anyone tell me whether this bill (re diabetes care in California public
 >schools) was signed by Gov. Davis???

It was vetoed.  Here's the veto message:

To Members of the California State Assembly:

I am returning Assembly Bill 481 without my signature.

This bill would require a credentialed school nurse or other licensed
nurse, or in the absence of a nurse, teachers who have volunteered and
school administrators with appropriate DHS-approved training, to administer
insulin or glucagon and perform testing and monitoring of a pupil's blood
glucose level in accordance with instructions set forth by the pupil's
physician.  Designated school personnel would be prohibited from being
required to administer assistance to pupils with diabetes unless the parent
or guardian has signed a waiver of liability.  In addition, pupils can test
their blood glucose level and provide diabetes self-care in any area of the
school or during school-related activities at the request of a parent or
guardian and with physician authorization.

Existing law already provides that any pupil who is required to take
prescription medication during the regular school day may be assisted by
school personnel if a written statement is obtained from a physician and a
written request is made by the pupil's parent/guardian.

This bill, while well-intentioned, would create a costly new state
reimbursable mandate estimated by the Department of Finance to be
potentially tens of millions of dollars.  Neither this bill, nor the 2002
Budget Act contains an appropriation for this purpose.  In addition, I am
advised by school district personnel that the immunity from liability
language may protect neither the school district or school personnel from

For these reasons, I cannot sign this measure.