[IP] Advice needed on middle of the night checks

To all parents, past and present, of toddlers/kids with diabetes,

Our son is 3 1/2 years-old.  He has been on an insulin pump for a year and a
half.  We were recently questioned about why we have not cut back on the
number of BG checks we do.  We check him before every  meal, sometimes mid
morning, always mid afternoon, when we go to bed, and then at 3 a.m.  The
check mostly in question is the 3 a.m. check.  We were told that it may have
been necessary while he was on MDI with NPH, but  should not be necessary
since he is on an insulin pump.  While that sounds tempting, from our
sleep-deprived point of view, we are not sure that it is safe for him.  We
have discovered several lows over the past year and a half, with numbers in
the 50's, which prompted a basal rate change at 1 a.m.  Then, days or weeks
later, the 3 a.m. check will show that the 1 a.m. basal rate needed to go
back up, usually corresponding to a growth spurt.

We would really appreciate your advice.  I wrote his diabetes care
professional about this, too.

Thank you,

Jonelle and Mark
Parents of Zach (Z!), dxd at 13 months of age, and Mitchell, age 6, who can
spot a low just by looking at his brother.