Re: [IP] Swimming

> Can anyone please answer the following question? it was the question
> was asked by a parent of a diabetic child. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like this child is on MDI, non-the-less, the solution my
daughter used while she was on swim team will probably work for this
kid. Lily found that her bg drop during her workout was equivalent to
10-15 grams of carb. She would eat some crackers or part of a
powerbar before the workout so that her bg's would stay in the 80 -
150 range for the entire time. bg's higher than about 180 impede
physical performance AND keep the body from adequately metabolizing
carbs to keep the skin warm -- thus causing chilling when swimming
and potentially a later much higher bg as the liver produces glucose
as a result of the demand for carbs to warm the body.