re[2]: [IP] Changing Lancets and Needles

Can we please talk about another subject than changing Lancets and Needles.  Let take a 2 wk break from this topic, because, I'm sure we will come back to it again.  But,.I sure did like the guy that uses his needle until the print comes off of it.  And Yes,  I'm guilty of using the same lancet and needles over again.  Have a nice day.

writes:

> > times through clothing.
>
> Hi All,
> I would like to chime in here, and respectfully disagree about the Mulitple
> re-use of syringes.  The above quote was quite true of the previous
> generation of syringes,26-28 gauge.  It is no longer true of the current
> generation, Micro-fine 30 gauge syringes.  I can not quote the article, but
> I recieved it thru the DCCT Team at UCSD.  Due to the very fine properties
> of this generation of syringes, there is significant deterioration of the
> needle after only one use.  In other words, multiple re-use of Micro-fine
> syringes can/may cause significant sub q damage.  The warning that they are
> only to be 'single use' is more than just a way for the manufacturers to
> make more money.  It is for the users protection and health.
>
> Just my .02 cents folks.  BTW, I have never re-used a syringe in 15 years of
> DM.
> --
> Frank

Frank I am sure people on this list, Tom, Jan, myself in the 50+ years
category remember boiling needles each day. I remember the hooks on 26 GA
needles we used a wet stone to fix. I will admit when I began sticking my
fingers in the 70's I would replace every time I stuck my self. After joining
this list and listening to Sam I tried leaving it there in place for multiple
sticks. In the last 2 years I rarely change the lance YMMV. I have yet to
have an infection. I still bleed a nice drop with my dull lance. It could be
the aspirin a day that makes me bleed better! I use the side of the tip of
the finger to stay away from the nerve endings on the pad of the finger. That
way it will hurt less again YMMV. I guess if it was good enough for my mother
to reuse needles in the 40's (late for me) it can't be all bad. Roger
Campbell (cheap Scottish person) (dx12/1/47 pm 5/7/00)

<

John Doyle
Hub Labels, Inc.
18223 Shawley Drive