Re: [IP] Changing Lancets and Needles

In a message dated 10/30/01 7:11:01 AM Pacific Standard Time, email @ redacted

> > times through clothing.
> Hi All,
> I would like to chime in here, and respectfully disagree about the Mulitple
> re-use of syringes.  The above quote was quite true of the previous
> generation of syringes,26-28 gauge.  It is no longer true of the current
> generation, Micro-fine 30 gauge syringes.  I can not quote the article, but
> I recieved it thru the DCCT Team at UCSD.  Due to the very fine properties
> of this generation of syringes, there is significant deterioration of the
> needle after only one use.  In other words, multiple re-use of Micro-fine
> syringes can/may cause significant sub q damage.  The warning that they are
> only to be 'single use' is more than just a way for the manufacturers to
> make more money.  It is for the users protection and health.
> Just my .02 cents folks.  BTW, I have never re-used a syringe in 15 years of
> DM.
> --
> Frank

Frank I am sure people on this list, Tom, Jan, myself in the 50+ years
category remember boiling needles each day. I remember the hooks on 26 GA
needles we used a wet stone to fix. I will admit when I began sticking my
fingers in the 70's I would replace every time I stuck my self. After joining
this list and listening to Sam I tried leaving it there in place for multiple
sticks. In the last 2 years I rarely change the lance YMMV. I have yet to
have an infection. I still bleed a nice drop with my dull lance. It could be
the aspirin a day that makes me bleed better! I use the side of the tip of
the finger to stay away from the nerve endings on the pad of the finger. That
way it will hurt less again YMMV. I guess if it was good enough for my mother
to reuse needles in the 40's (late for me) it can't be all bad. Roger
Campbell (cheap Scottish person) (dx12/1/47 pm 5/7/00)