From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of
email @ redacted
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 7:18 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Changing Lancets

Well, Matt, you certainly know how to get a discussion going!  LOL

I have to admit, I smiled when I read your post.  (I also wondered if you
were a relatively new diabetic, but was too lazy to look for a profile.
 ;-) )

I think if you talk to long-term diabetics, you will find many (and I mean
MANY) who reuse lancets--and who reuse(d) syringes when on MDI.  I change my
lancet--geez, I don't even know--maybe 2 to 3 times a year?  As long as I'm
getting blood without any trouble, I use it.  The new ones hurt like hell on
me.

I've been diabetic for 23 years and I have never had a skin infection of any
kind.  My endo has a *very* busy practice, specializing in diabetics, and he
is well aware of what many of his patients are doing and has no issue with
it.  As many IPers have already pointed out, the evidence simply doesn't
support that it's unhealthy or causes infections.  Even my CDE, who is a
fellow diabetic, reuses some of her supplies.

If you like to change yours every time, by all means, do.  YMMV.   :-)

Leeann