re: [IP] Implantable insulin pump

Sounds like a great invention, but,  I hate to be the person when the pump springs a 3 mos. leak.  And you get 3 mos of insulin all at one shot.  I'm just wondering how active you could with a this device.  For example Scuba Diving?

Please keep us posted.  It would be great wakeing up in the morning and not have to check my blood sugars or take a Bolus or change a infusion set.

> I didn't know if this was posted but here it goes.  I was speaking with a
scientist from the old Minimed and he told me the following on the
implantable pump.

Medtronic (MiniMed) has several implantable pumps in humans but they are
>all in Europe.  The pump is still in development stages and should be
>available in the next two years for FDA trials.
>
>It is a closed loop pump which can read blood sugars and deliver proper
>insulin coverage automatically.  Most likely the patients who will be used
>in the FDA studies will be people who are on the (Medtronic) continuous
>glucose monitoring systems already.
>
>The pump is the size of a hockey puck and will most likely use U400
>insulin.  It will carry a 3 month supply of insulin that will be re-filled
>by a qualified physician.
>
>The new company Medtronic specializes in implantable medical devises and
>should be able to produce a very effective pump.
>
>Ken Bernstein
>
>--
>Kenneth Bernstein <email @ redacted>

<