[IP] Re: Drivers License in Illinois

In a message dated 10/28/01 11:25:53 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I would fight that one Jenn!!  Check into it.  Can they legally keep you from
> getting a driver's license because you're a diabetic?  I wouldn't think so!
> Now, in Illinois -- I think they've just started having forms filled out by
> your doctor to make sure you're not likely to pass out or anything - but I'm
> not sure if that's for everyone or just senior citizens.  (My mother-in-law
> had to get one last year when she got her license renewed.  3 years ago - I
> didn't.  So, I'm not sure.  guess I'll find out next year when mine comes
> due
> again.)
> Good luck!
> Deb in Southern Illinois

In Illinois they require a form to be filled out by your doctor if you have a
condition where you could lose consciousness.  They used to require a note as
far back as 1973 when I became diabetic after I got my learner's permit and
before I got my license.  My 1st endo told me I needed a letter and I have
gotten one ever since.  When I lived in Virginia in the early 80's, they were
more strict and required a note from my doctor every year (my doctor tried to
get them to say every 2 years but they said no).  I think if people already
had their license when they became diabetic then no one reads the questions
too carefully.  In the Rule of the Road book it says that you are to notify
the Secretary of State within 10 days of developing a medical condition where
you are likely to have loss of consciousness.  It says failure to do so may
lead to cancellation of your driver's license.  I know a lot of people are
unaware of this.

It is one of the things I find irritating because I have never passed out in
28 years and yet there are plenty of unsafe drivers who don't need a note
from their doctor.