[IP] RE: Driving

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 13:26:47 -0700 Thomas Beatson wrote:

Kathy Bruckmeyer wrote:  If you can prove that you have good b.g.
control and check your b.g. often then there is no reason why they
would deny you a license.

Yes , there is a reason. The person who complained about this
treatment admitted to us that she had lied on her application. Maybe
you don't think that telling a lie in this situation is serious, but
obviously the RMV (or whatever) thinks it is serious, and I agree with
them. She is now suffering the consequences of telling a lie when she
answered the question on the application. I'll bet they have a very
reasonable way of handling applicants who haven't been detected as
lying, but it's too late for that. Watch out.

Tom Beatson
dx 1942, pump 1995

Yeah -- but is that really lying?  I do NOT consider my diabetes a disability
and have NEVER put down on ANYTHING that I have a disability!!!  As long as I
keep my bs under control -- I am perfectly able to function as well as a
nondiabetic.  Ok, yes, I know -- the Americans with Disabilities Act does
consider diabetes a disability -- but only if it IS disabling to the
individual, right?  Every time I have ever filled out any type of application
for anything that asks about disabilities, I always put no.  Even at the DMV
when I get my driver's license - I put "no" for disabilities.  But, get the
sticker to go on my license saying to look for a medical card -- so they know
I have diabetes.

Just my opinion here.

Deb in Southern Illinois