[IP] Getting enough blood from cold fingers

In a message dated 10/28/01 1:32:52 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< Yeah, me too, especially in the winter.  Fingers get too cold.

>From: "Kathy Bruckmeyer" <email @ redacted>
>Well, I don't know if it's the lancet or my fingers but sometimes I need
>to click around 5 times on 5 different fingers until I get blood....
>Kathy B.

OK, you guys, what are some of the tricks you have for getting enough blood
from cold fingers?  I find washing in warm water the most reliable, and of
course that is also good to prevent contamination (of either me or the test
<gr.>), but it isn't always possible.  Or convenient, as when I don't want to
get out of bed.  Pinching the site and then letting it hang while I shake the
arm has helped, but is not something I ever bother with until I have had at
least 1 failure. I have heard of people putting a clothes pin on the finger
while they set up the meter and get out the strip (these activities don't
take as long now as they did when I first heard this tip <gr.>).  And, of cou
rse, using a meter that requires a small sample (but sometimes I don't even
get that).

Linda Z