Re: [IP] A1C question related to BS average

Natalie Sera <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Curious: How do you square that with the new evidence that 2-hr PP BGs
> correlate more strongly than fasting BGs with complications in Type 2's?

First of all, two hour PP glucose is not a spike, and happens more or less
regularly - every time one eats a meal.  This effect is also probable in
type 1s.  But it does point out the need to bolus properly.

Type 2 diabetics have normally been in a disease process for an average of
13 years prior to diagnosis.  By the time a type 2 diabetic becomes
symptomatic, that is elevated BG, the disease is in the end stage.  It's
likely that this disease process has already started collateral effects
prior to diagnosis.  I don't know how much research has been done on the
pre-clinical phases of diabetes.  Some ongoing research among Native
Americans indicates that the presence of acanthosis nigricans is evidence of
pre-clinical diabetes, and some hypothesize that as much damage is done by
hyperinsulinemia as by high BG.

Jim Handsfield