From: James Handsfield [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2001 2:21 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] A1C question related to BS average

Kathy Bruckmeyer <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I know my a1c never show what's really happening because lots of the lows
> cancel out the highs...

Actually, it's the HbA1c that *most* tells what's happening regarding
overall control, and is the prime predictor of future complications.  Our
daily/hourly BG tests are the approximation.  All of the major research
(such as DCCT and UKPDS) has and continues to use HbA1c as the measure of
control.  There's just too much variability in home test meters to be useful
for prognosis.

Jim Handsfield