RE: [IP] Re: Driving

On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 00:03:33 +0000 Jenn wrote:

>I'm sorry, I don't understand. Why can't you drive if you're >diabetic.  I
>mean I know certain people have to go through a whole >regime if they plan
>to drive for a living but driving a car?  As long >as you check your b.g
>before you get behind the wheel and if you're
>going to be driving for a while, every two hours or so, you will have >a
>handle if your b.g. is dropping and be aware of it.
>Can you find out more about why they say you can't drive?

>From what I understood, if they don't know, then there's nothing they can
say or do about it.  Folks at the RMV saw me doing a fingerstick, and then
revoked my learner's permit, because I had lied on the application, saying I
had no disabilities.

email @ redacted
AIM:  jspock1
ICQ:  25177424
MSN:  email @ redacted

Since when is diabetes a "disability" as far as something like that is
concerned?  I have been diabetic since the age of 5-1/2.  When I went to get
my very first driver's license, I even talked to the people there and they
helped me get a sticker to go on the back of my driver's license in case
anything ever happened - - telling people to look for a medical card because
of my diabetes -- and even gave me a medical card to fill out and carry with

I would fight that one Jenn!!  Check into it.  Can they legally keep you from
getting a driver's license because you're a diabetic?  I wouldn't think so!
Now, in Illinois -- I think they've just started having forms filled out by
your doctor to make sure you're not likely to pass out or anything - but I'm
not sure if that's for everyone or just senior citizens.  (My mother-in-law
had to get one last year when she got her license renewed.  3 years ago - I
didn't.  So, I'm not sure.  guess I'll find out next year when mine comes due

Good luck!

Deb in Southern Illinois