Re: [IP] doctor's visit

At 09:03 PM 10/25/01 -0400, Kathy wrote:
 >Now, I had another battle w/my endo in that she can't understand why I check
 >my b.g. so many times a day (old story) and thinks I am driving myself
 >crazy.  I told her that I am driving a lot and can't tell when my b.g. is
 >low and need to check and other times need to check because I don't feel
 >well and I need to know where I am at.
 >She says that I shouldn't care what my b.g. is until the next time I have to
 >eat and I shouldn't bolus for a high in between.

This is insane, Kathy.  Are you sure she's really an endocrinologist?

Seriously, though, telling you not to check your blood sugar before driving
or when you don't feel well is incredibly irresponsible.  Especially--but
not only--if you have hypoglycemic unawareness.  I've never even heard of
an endo advising someone on MDI to test before meals only and at no other
time.  Heck, I've never heard of a doctor advising someone on two doses of
NPH and Regular to do that.

The only reason I can think of for a doctor to tell you this is if you're
going low a lot and the doctor suspects it's because you're overtreating
highs.  In that case testing less might even things out, but a better
approach would be to fine-tune your high-BG adjustments in terms of both
amount and timing.

I think you should find another doctor, preferably the one who has a lot of
patients on the pump.  I know it's inconvenient, but isn't your health
worth 8 hours drive time a year?