[IP] doctor's visit

Hi all:
Saw my endo today and got pretty good results I think.  My aic was 7.9 which
was lower than last time (I think it was 8.5 then). My thyroids were off
just like I told her a few months ago so there needs to be a change in meds
there.   And of course, the anemia is always present.

The best news is that my protein in my urine count went down considerably
and I was so happy to hear that.  I've been taking captropril and on a low
protein diet for 3 years now and it is working!  Yeah!!!!

Now, I had another battle w/my endo in that she can't understand why I check
my b.g. so many times a day (old story) and thinks I am driving myself
crazy.  I told her that I am driving a lot and can't tell when my b.g. is
low and need to check and other times need to check because I don't feel
well and I need to know where I am at.

She says that I shouldn't care what my b.g. is until the next time I have to
eat and I shouldn't bolus for a high in between.  I don't bolus until at
least 4 hours after the last one since it takes so long for humalog to work
on me but if I wake in the morning anywhere near 200 or higher, I bolus a
small amt to start bringing it down.  If I wait until I eat breakfast it is
way too high for my liking.

What upsets me even more is that she said lots of her pump patients still
run low to high and I told her I don't consider that good control and that's
not why I went on the pump....right now I feel like I'm at the same place I
was while MDI except for the convenience of the pump.

Anyway, after lots of going back and forth, she said she wanted me to see an
endo who has lots of pump patients in Clearwater which is a one hour drive
each way.  I asked her about the novolog and she said she would give it to
me to try.  I told her I would like to see how that reacts on me before
seeing another doctor.  I am praying that it will work faster on
me....common sense tells you that if you eat and take insulin and it doesn't
start working until 2 1/2-3 hours later, all the food is gone by then and of
course, b.g. will be lower but I can't seem to get that across to

So I will try the novolog when I change my set on Sunday and probably will
be asking a lot of questions of those who are using it once I start and run
into trouble.....don't we all.  I know lots of you have lowered your basals
and dosage so I'm just hoping that it will work faster on me.

Thx for all your support and just wanted to fill you in on what has been

Kathy Bruckmeyer
email @ redacted
diab 35 yrs pumping 12/00