[IP] Finally getting the Pump!

I recently joined this web site, and when I joined I wrote to Michael
Robinton asking for any suggestions on how to make the insurance company to
understand the need for a pump for my son.  He is 10 and half years -
diabetice since Aug. 2000, and decent control, also has a great attitude, and
understand almost as much as I do about this disease.
In July, we got my son's doctor to approve him for a pump.  I thought that
was going to be the hard, she is very particular on who she recommends.  She
wants to make they understand counting carbs and diabetes in general, also
why they want the pump.  Well I thought since the doctor prescribed it - it
would be approve without no problems.  Every time I called they wanted some
more information from someone,  I was getting very frustrated and thats when
I found this site.  So I took Michael advice and really made the insurance
Medical Director understand that I was going to make this happen and all the
reason why it should.  I would call almost everyday, either the insurance
Company, The pump company, the pump dispensing company or the diabetic nurse.
 Well today I finally was told that it was approved!!!!!! So in about 2 -3
weeks my son will  be starting the pump! Mini-Med 508, I believe.
Thanks Michael for all your advice, and yes the book Pumping Insulin is great
also. Just anyone out there, who has problems with their insurance companies,
keep on them and expect them to provide them with medical coverage that they
should have.  I have a very high deductible on everything, but its okay,
because at least part of the pump will be covered.  I am just thankful for
them to see it my way - the right way!
Sherry Eshein
Adam's mom , hopefully he will be pumping in Nov. 2001