[IP] Re: Problems with Animas pump

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:47:27 -0500 Kathy wrote:

I have been pumping since 2/01. I've been quite pleased with the service
from Animas, but I am very frustrated and concerned about the pump problems
I have had. My first pump worked fine for 3-4 months. Then, over several
months, I had extreme difficulty priming. It was so frustrating! Finally, it
just wouldn't prime anymore. So, I got a replacement pump. (Tech service did
indeed identify a faulty priming mechanism was to blame. My second pump,
which I got early Sept., just went bad yesterday. The screen would black out
as I was working with it. I also had problems with having to press the enter
key anywhere from 1-5 times before the screen would wake up. I replaced the
batteries and that was not the problem. The problem was also sporadic.

What have others experienced with their pumps - whether Animas, Minimed or
Disetronic? If this is normal, I'm not sure I can want to have to allocate
hours and hours to fixing pump problems.

Appreciate your feedback!
Kathy S.

I have had my MiniMed 507 for 4-1/2 years -- and have never had a major
problem with it (Just a couple of minor problems -- such as the door not
staying shut to hold the reservoir in place).  But I think pumps are just like
any other machine.  Ok -- a car for example -- my mom and I have identical
cars -- except that mine is 1 year newer -- she had transmission problems with
her car at 20,000 miles, but it was able to be fixed.  My transmission quit
completely at 97,000 miles.  The pumps are the same -- they are machines so
they are going to wear out and possibly malfunction at some point.  I think
it's a YMMV thing.

Good luck!!

Deb in Southern Illinois