Re: [IP] Novolog

> I had a question. I feel very naive about this...I just got a letter
> from someone from this group saying that Novolog is actually a
> "generic" insulin  and that Humalog works more like your bodys
> insulin. Should I be concerned about having recently switched our
> son to Novolog? He is doing very well on it. No sore sites, no
> stinging when bolusing, and his 2 hour pp are right back to where he
> started! (that is amazing!) We are thrilled. I know it's a YMMV
> thing, but I also don't want to cause harm! Our endo is using it
> himself and recommended it to Kevin.

To start with, there is no such thing as a "generic" insulin. More to
the point, both Humalog and Novolog aka NovoRapid in the EU, are
insulin analogs (lantus is also an insulin analog). This means that
they are not really insulin at all. Their molecular structure has
been altered somewhat to facilitate rapid absorption.

All modern insulins and insulin analogs are what is called "human"
insulin. That means that they are replications of human insulin
reproduced by recombinant DNA technology. In plain english, the
insulin is reproduced by bacteria in a vat.  Insulin and insulin
analogs are comprised of very long chains of molecules. The insulin
analogs are essentially identical to "real" insulin except that one
(Novlog) or two (Humalog) of the molecules have been moved or

In Humalog the amino acids at positions 28(lys) and 29(pro) on the
insulin B chain are reversed. In Novolog/NovoRapid, the amino acid
proline in position 28 of the insulin B chain is replace with a
molecule of aspartic.

Hope that helps.