[IP] A reply from a lady who had two healthy diabetic pregnancies in 1980 and 1985

Good morning.  I hope you are feeling well today.  I hope you enjoy these
few hints from an "older" diabetic woman.  I was diagnosed in 1969 at the
age of nine.  Glucose meters were just being invented when I was pregnant
with my first child in 1980.  It sounds like ancient history but the
funniest part of my pregnancy was when my doctor informed me that Blue
Cross did not want to pay for my glucose meter because they considered it
a "new device".   I suggested my doctor write the following letter to Blue
Cross:   "Here are the two choices regarding payment for the glucose meter
for Mrs Fox.   Either pay $600 for the glucose meter       or you can pay
for six months of total hospitalization."     : )    Of course the meter
was paid for!

Matt was born on October 8, 1980.  Amanda was born on December 15, 1985.
They are both healthy and happy.  Today my children are now 21 and
"almost" 16.   Both of our children were born healthy and happy at about
39 1/2 weeks, my son 4 days before his due date and my daugther 10 days
before her due date.    I was awake with an epidural during the c sections
and all went fine.  We spent six days in the hospital recuperating and
nursing and smiling (and checking glucose.)   The first and third
trimesters changed my insulin needs dramatically.   If I remember
correctly, I was taking 50% more insulin during the second trimester and
double the original amount during my third trimester.  Immediately after
the babies were born, my insulin needs went back to the original normal
dosages.   I breastfed my son for 18 months and my daughter for 14 months.

So as far as ideas, I would say to "STAY CALM" take some time for relaxing
and doing what you enjoy.  If you can RELAX a few hours a day then the
inability to sleep may not be a problem.   I am sure you have heard that
nausea can be helped by having a couple of saltines and I think the basal
rate of the insulin pump would keep your numbers good even if you couldn't
eat.   When I started pumping in 1998, I actually did the "no lunch" one
day and  the "no breakfast" another day to check the basals.  Check with
your nurse educator about your basal rates on your pump.  And of course
take your vitamins!

Constant worry, of course, is really a waste of those stress hormones.
Worry doesn't change anything except your level of health!  Lisa I know
that no one can tell you not to worry but if our healthy children were
born in the really dark ages with diabetes and are doing very very well
that should help calm your fears!   Save those stress hormones for things that you CAN CONTROL and let go of
the things that are BEYOND your control.  Your baby will be healthier and happier by having a  happy, less worried
mommy and daddy.   I feel lucky to have been born with a very easy going outlook on life and
I really really believe that has helped my pregnancies and my diabetes
control since I was diagnosed 33 years ago!

With the pump and the newer methods of treating diabetes, I feel you will
be a huge success in your pregnancy.

Write me a note any time and if you want to call me, I will send you my
telephone number.

Take care and RELAX!

Your Friend,