[IP] 10 Year Anniversary

Ten years ago today, at the age of twelve, I went to the doctor with what I
thought was a yeast infection.  I didn't even think young girls who hadn't
started menstrating got yeast infections.  I figured I would go to the
doctor, he'd give me some kind of cream and I would be out of there.  The
previous week my sister had broken her arm in three places.  Over the
weekend my mom and I had opened "Steel Magnolias" at the community theater
(oh, the irony).  So, I went to the doctor and she checked me out and then
asked me to go to the lab to have some blood drawn.  Well, about the thirty
minutes later I found out that my blood sugar was 370 and that I had
diabetes.  I spent the next three days learning everything about diabetes:
what it is, how to check my blood sugar, how to give myself a shot, how to
stick to a 1800 calorie diet, etc.  And though at the time I was bummed
because Halloween was coming up, ten years later I have had no complications
and have had only one bad low blood sugar incident (just ask my sister about
the time her older sister told her to kiss her rear and then smacked her to
the ground in the hotel room).  I am greatful for the new technology I live
with.  Three years ago I received Hugh, my first MiniMed 507C, and that made
things so much better.  I now live with Grant, a refurbished 507C, and I'm
still going strong.  I have graduated from college, have a great job and am
controlling my diabetes better than ever.  So, if you would like, I am
inviting all of you to celebrate this occasion with me by having one of your
favorite treats.  Me, I'm going to my favorite ice cream parlor to have a
tripple scoop of chocolate and peanut butter ice cream.  Good day to all!

Kate Patterson
dxd 10-22-91
pumping since 07-28-98