Re: [IP] Lab Results

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick G. Jobe" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 8:33 PM
Subject: [IP] Lab Results

> I finally manage to get a full copy of by  latest lab results. My endo
> tends to be rather closed mouth about this only answering when specific
> questions are asked.
> There are a couple of items I don't fully understand. Perhaps someone
> explain them and their significance?
> BUN - normal range: 7 - 18 mg/dl
> Creatinine - normal range: 0.8-1.3 mg/dl
> SGOT (AST) - normal range: 15-37 u/l
> SGPT (ALT) - normal range: 30-65 u/l
> Thanks for  the help
Bun = blood urea nitrogen, the nitrogenous waste from protein metabolism in
your blod, elevations tend to mean kidney problems,
Creatinine, "so called non=protein nbitrgen" waste productsfrom breakdown of
body tissues like muscle, oover 1.5 means kidney problems SGOT= serum
glutamate oxalacetic transaminase a liver enzyme ALT - alanine transaminase
a liver enzyme, another liver enzyme the last 2 go up with liver assults
such as drinking or certain drugs.  Normal ranges depend on the lab in which
the specimens are analyzed. each lab has its own normal values.
ALT can be elevated by certain drugs like those used to treat alzheimers. A
certain amoount of increase in the normal values is possible in certain
illnesses. spot