[IP] My reply to BMJ

My now 13 year old son has been successfully using CSII for over 6 years.
Not once in that time period has he gone into DKA.  Our proactive pediatric
endocrinologist, Dr. Robin Nemery in the USA, gave us excellent pre-pump
education.  Over the last 6 years we have never once regretted switching from
the impossible life of living with long acting insulin on board in a child to
the liberating life on CSII.

Doctors of patients with diabetes are remiss in not becoming knowledgeable
and up to speed in this method of insulin delivery.  CSII is far from new
protocol.  It's been around and accepted well over 20 years and it's 20th
century medicine.  Shouldn't all doctors in the 21st century be required to,
at a minimum, offer therapy from last century?

Patients and their families can and should be empowered to use the insulin
pump to its fullest benefit.  Many patients on MDI end up in hospital in DKA.
 I'd like to ask G. Knight how many "dead in bed syndrome" patients have been
encountered with CSII vs MDI?

G. Knight points out: "I suggest that physicians should avoid being coerced
into dabbling in pump therapy by patients or pressure groups."  Shame on
physicians for not availing themselves of every opportunity to train their
patients in the use of CSII.  Shame on G. Knight for taking the cowardly view
that rather than a physician learning and subsequently empowering their
patients, they should hide.

Very sincerely yours,
Ellen H. Ullman
Mom, Advocate for children who have diabetes and their parents, Friend,
Webmaster...http://members.aol.com/CamelsRFun/index.html  (KidsRPumping)
Please support funding a cure for diabetes: Diabetes Research Institute in
Miami, Florida:  http://www.drinet.org