Re: [IP] Animas pump

In a message dated 10/19/2001 3:19:41 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I was just informed today by my CDE  (York Endocrinology in York, PA)  that
>  my doctor will no longer treat me if I go on the Animas Pump.  They are not
>  "comfortable" with their product at this time.  They suggested I find
>  another endocrinologist. <snip>  Anyone know of any
>  doctors in the area that have prescribed the Animas pump?  I was told that
>  the Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, PA is more supportive of their
>  product.  Any suggestions or feedback would be welcomed.

Oh, this one just really pisses me off!  I'd like to think that the
"Paternalistic, Doctor as God" paradigm has been replaced with the "Doctor as
Expert Advisor" paradigm (obviously it hasn't been), and CDEs, well, they're
supposed to EDUCATE, not DICTATE . . . Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

It's not like your trying to get them to let you try out some experimental
device, or something . . . ALL of the pumps on the market have gone through
major hoops just to get approved by the FDA, AND they all have plenty of
users now to demonstrate their "real life" reliability.  ANY of them is a
good pump, it's simply a matter of what your individual needs and preferences
are  . . . I don't care which pump you want  -- The choice should be YOURS
and NOT be your endo/CDE's!

As far as finding a endo/CDE who will be supportive of your choice, I have
two suggestions:  (1) check the IP page of pump-friendly docs and make a few
phone calls and (2) Call Animas (corporate or your local rep) -- I'm sure
they can give you a list of docs in your area who have prescribed Animas
pumps . . .

Good luck to you!

Pumpmama to Katie