[IP] Trying out Novolog! & quickset cap/unused bolus comment

After hearing some of the other success stories for folks
who used to mix Humalog & R/V who've switched to Novolog with
good results - and after seeing a very subtle trend in Luke's
blood sugars every 3 days (good, okay, slightly high), we
asked for a sample of Novolog.  His changeout tonight went
really smoothly and so far it seems to be working very similar
to Humalog/R for him.  We'll keep you posted about changes we
notice.  Experienced Novolog users or their parents, please
feel free to share any hints on carb ratio/basal-bolus changes
that you had.

As for Jeff, the new pumper using QuickSets - Luke never uses
the cap.  Too much of a pain for a 6 yr. old to keep up with,
so we don't.  He swam & bathed every day this summer with no

And we follow the "Unused Bolus" information in "Pumping Insulin"
as religiously as we can.  That chapter alone helped us get
the high/low rollercoaster under control.  Our CDE/pump trainer
indicated we could bolus about every 2 hours if needed, especially
if Luke gets sick & runs high.  But we calculate the unused bolus
from 2 hours previous.  If you don't have that book, get it!

Happy pumping!
Shelly V, mom to Luke, 6, dx'd 10/15/99 & pumping 3/5/01

Do You Yahoo!?