[IP] Trying out Novolog! & quickset cap/unused bolus comment

After hearing some of the other success stories for folks
who used to mix Humalog & R/V who've switched to Novolog with
good results - and after seeing a very subtle trend in Luke's
blood sugars every 3 days (good, okay, slightly high), we
asked for a sample of Novolog.  His changeout tonight went
really smoothly and so far it seems to be working very similar
to Humalog/R for him.  We'll keep you posted about changes we
notice.  Experienced Novolog users or their parents, please
feel free to share any hints on carb ratio/basal-bolus changes
that you had.

As for Jeff, the new pumper using QuickSets - Luke never uses
the cap.  Too much of a pain for a 6 yr. old to keep up with,
so we don't.  He swam & bathed every day this summer with no
problems.

And we follow the "Unused Bolus" information in "Pumping Insulin"
as religiously as we can.  That chapter alone helped us get
the high/low rollercoaster under control.  Our CDE/pump trainer
indicated we could bolus about every 2 hours if needed, especially
if Luke gets sick & runs high.  But we calculate the unused bolus
from 2 hours previous.  If you don't have that book, get it!

Happy pumping!
Shelly V, mom to Luke, 6, dx'd 10/15/99 & pumping 3/5/01