[IP] Visit to rheumatologist

I have learned a lot by reading the digests but don't write often. I went to
a rheumatologist today about a painful right thumb that my primary care
doctor thought was arthritis. Instead, it is trigger thumb, or tendonitis. I
was not surprised by the diagnosis, thanks to what I have read here in this
group. She gave me a cortisone shot that was quite painful as she had me
bend and straighten the thumb several times with the needle intact.

When she learned that I have type 1 diabetes and am on the pump, she asked a
lot of questions about the diagnosis and about the pump. She asked to see it
and then to see where it was attached to me. She thought that they had to be
surgically inserted and that they sensed blood sugar and made corrections on
their own. (Sounds like the future closed loop system.) She was sorry that I
still had to test my blood sugar several times a day. She even asked about
the batteries, what kind and how often I changed them. This is the first
time in eight months on the pump that I've had someone that interested in
how it works.