[IP] Re: "Jeff Martin" just starting the pump

In a message dated 10/18/2001 11:23:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Hi, I just started pumping a couple of days ago.  I have a couple of
> questions.  With the quicksets, there is a protective cover that goes on
> the
> insertion site when disconnecting.  Is this piece necessary to use when
> showering or disconnected?  If so, is there a trick to getting it on?
> Also,
> how long to most of you wait after delivering a correction bolus before
> acting again on another high?  For example:  I tested about an hour ago and
> my bg was 213, so I delivered a correction bolus.  I just tested now and
> was
> 203.  Do I give another correction bolus now, or wait longer to let the
> insulin act?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
> Jeff Martin
> email @ redacted
Hi, I have been using my 508 pump for over a year now. I use the quicksets
also. The protective cover optional. I have never used it before and haven't
had any problems w/o it. I don't think there is any certain way it has to be
put on, it just fits over the needle when you do a quick release. I think
something like this may good if you ae swimming in a public pool or somewhere
it may not be sanitary. With the correction bolus I usually give the insulin
atleast 2 hours before testing. If I respond sooner I bottom out. If I see
the sugars dropping I just wait it out and if there isn't any response I do
another correction bolus to take care of this. I think you have to experiment
alittle, whatever you feel comfortable with. Hope this helps.
Good Luck, Heather W.