Re: [IP] Paradigm connector (was Question on Animas pumps)

> >  I don't understand why that would be true (not that I don't trust
> >  your information).  Both the Disetronic and Animas are currently
> >  waterproof (and the Animas is waterproof to 12' vs. the Paradigm's
> >  8'), and they both use standard leur lock connectors.
> >
> >  Why would the Paradigm require a new lock to remain waterproof?
> >
> I'm no engineer . . . Obviously they didn't HAVE to change from the
> standard Leur lock connection in order to get waterproofness (as
> you said, both Animas and Disetronic managed to produce waterproof
> pumps without doing that) . . .
> But, for whatever reason, Minimed choose to design a non-standard
> connection for the infusion sets for the Paradigm.
   Thanks, Lyndy.  I AM an engineer, so I knew something must be up.
The message Pat Jobe posted basically answered it for me - they were
able to eliminate an expensive (~ $6) adapter through the new

   Only MiniMed is big enough to do this, and even then it may or may
not become a new standard.  In all likelihood they own the patent on
the design, so they may stand to get royalties from others using it for
a long time.