[IP] travel concerns

I returned from Italy last Saturday-October 13th.     I had a few rough
moments but it worked out ok.   We departed from Chicago and all they asked
me was to remove the pager from my belt.  I told them it was an insulin
pump, they looked at the face of the pump and waved me through.   I carry
all my supplies, extra sysinges, pen insulin, testing equipment etc. with me
and that went through the scanning equipment without even a question.   I
thought that was relatively scary and nary a question from security.  In
Europe however it was a different story.   They examined everything and even
though I had a certified letter from my doctor were going to confiscate the
syringes, needles and other equipment.   I actually showed them how to use
the pump and that it was attached to me.  The thing that changed their mind
was the medic alert necklace I was wearing.   Please keep in mind that they
were confiscating a lot of items---nailfiles, small tool kits, even nail
clippers.  They were even fanning through peoples books and magazines
looking for "weapons".   I suggest that you bring the letter from your
doctor and your supplies as carryon luggage like I did but also put some
extra supplies in your checked luggage.   BTW---it is up to the captain of
the aircraft whether he/she will accept confiscated items and put them in
the cockpit to be returned to you when you arrive.   Ours would not do so.

Steve Levinson
Michael Silver and Company
8833 Gross Point Road    Suite 306
Skokie Il   60077