Re: [IP] Nursing Inserting an insulin catheter paving the way for multiple injections. (

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sheila Morris" <email @ redacted>
To: "insulin-pumpers-digest" <email @ redacted>
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2001 9:17 AM
Subject: [IP] Nursing Inserting an insulin catheter paving the way for
multiple injections. (

> I was surfing this morning and found this article.
>  http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m3231/n2_v28/20257272/p1/article.jhtml
> It talks about how nurses can teach patients to use an infusion site if
> patient doesn't like to stick themselves so often with out using a pump.
> any of the pump manufacturers sell infusions sets only for the use of
> non-pumpers?  Jan, I think it was you that wanted the companies to sell
> sets individually(without tubing)  This may be a good argument for you to
> use.  Present the companies with a way for them to make more money and
> may go for it.  In the end everyone is happy.
> Sheila Morris

The problem isn't the companies, its the FDA They have it in their head that
a set can last only three days and everything needs to e changed after that.
so they prevent the sale of sets without tubings etc and other nonsense by
rufusing to ok the sale in the us. The manufacturers are forced to offer all
that unused tubing with the sets.
the use of a catheter to infuse insulin is not a good idea. the insulin will
track back along the insertion track and leak out. I had this happen with
several lab rats that i used a catheter for infusion in.