Re: [IP] Insurance QuestionsProble

> My 22y/o daughter,Kara, was working w/Animas to get a
> pump,which we thought was happening by the end of
> Oct.Today we found out her insurance co wouldn't cover
> it
> because she has only had the policy 6 months & her
> diabetes was prexisting condition.She didn't have any
> coverage prior to this.They state she won't be
> eligible for a pump untill 5-02.
> We've read the pumping book,watched the videos,&
> devoured
> all the wonderful information in this digest & were so
> excited to begin.
> Needless to say she is so disappointed.
> Does anyone know if there is any information/help
> w/this type of situation?
> Animas said if her insurance co.wasn't self funded,we
> could appeal to the insurance commission,but after
> calling the co.found they are self funded.
> Kara was dx 14 yrs.ago & has so many problems
> contolling her bgs.She's been hospitalized w/dka &
> least 12 times in past 3 yrs.

If they are paying anything at all for diabetes related problems then
it may be possible to negotiate with them. If everything diabetes
related is excluded then you'll probably have to wait. Assuming they
cover diabetes related hospitalizations, you might be able to
convince them that one trip to the ER would probably pay for the