[IP] How does your insurance cover supplies?

I'm curious:  Do pretty much all insurance companies
cover pump
supplies like
they do the pump--as "durable medical equipment?"   I
have an
absolutely
fabulous premium PPO plan with United Healthcare--$5
doctor visits, $5
Rx,
all lab/hospital covered, etc.  However, for durable
medical equipment,
like
when I got my MM508, they covered only 80% and I had
to pay 20%.  They
tell
me that my pump supplies are covered the same way,
80/20.

Is that common?  I was surprised they were not
considered like a
regular
prescription.  I expected to pay $5 for each supply
item.

Would be interested in hearing the experiences of
other pumpers.

thanks,
Leeann

Leeann,
If you have Merck/Medco mail pharmacy with your United
Healthcare, you CAN get them for $5 / item!  You need
to get the NDC number of each item from Minimed.  Then
have your doctor write PRESCRIPTIONS for 90 days of
each item, including that NDC number (it uniquely
identifies each item).  Merck-Medco will process it.
I don't know why, but it seems that the pump supplies
can be processed both ways, as prescriptions, or as
durable medical equipment.
Linda