[IP] 4 year old starting on pump

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:43:16 -0700
From: "Meredith, Susan" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] RE: "Question"

>> Our daughter is 4 and we are  preparing to ask her endo to start
>> her on the pump. She is somewhat excited over the idea. Her endo
>> is NOT pro-pump for small kids, in fact the youngest pumper is
>> 5 or 6 and they only started her because her parents (like we will
>> probably do) demanded that they let her pump. How can we convince
>> him? Anybody?? HELP!!!

Hi Jodi and Dennis,

This is kind of a long response, but your mail really hit home with me!
I started my son Ryan on a pump when he was 3. My endo at the time would
not work with me

>> Pro or cons of the Minimed pump ( probably the pump that she will be

We use the MM508 and love it. We dilute to U50, which it has a setting for.
His doses are small enough that we need to dilute, but YMMV.

Jodi, Dennis, and Sharon:
Just curious why you state that the Minimed pump is "probably" the pump that
Sharon will be using?  Also check out the Animas pump which has a .05 basal
available which is perfect for young kids and also a "temporary basal" by
percentage up or down for quick adjustments without readjusting all basals.  I
am 43 yr. and use the Animas for the reason of the .05 basal.  Although I use
approx. 30 units of Humalog per day, my basals are very low and I have my
basal set for .05 from 7 pm to 12 midnight.  I originally had .10 for this
time and went low every night.  The animas with the .05 works perfect for me.
Check out all the pumps before you choose.  Good luck with your choice!