Re: [IP] Re: Batteries

I said,
> >I don't understand why you want to avoid the LO BATTERY alarm? It's a LO
> >battery, not a NO battery alarm. I'm too *frugal* to toss out functioning
> >batteries.

Andy said,
> For simplicity. I feel I'm inviting problems when I use a battery that may
> be low for an essential medical device. I change the battery on the same
> day I perform a number of other maintenance steps, so it makes my life
> the pump a bit easier to manage.

I'm replying:
I guess we puzzle both chuther (a word my kids coined combining *both of
you* and *each other*). You want to get more battery life than 4 wks but you
change them anyway. hmmmmm You'll never know, then, huh? ;)

> If the device is essential to health or well-being, I change the battery
> per a schedule in order to avoid low battery alarms. With my pump, I have
> not seen a low battery alarm since I started changing batteries monthly.

You are then covered in two opposing ways - won't see the L.B. notice, and
won't get longer battery life. <g>

> Since you sure know how to read, it's a good bet you know how to subtract.
> <g> I'll trust your numbers.

> I must admit I don't understand this at all. From what I've seen on the IP
> list, most people get 6 weeks (or less) from 357 batteries. You
> consistently get 8-12. I believe you, but I don't understand AT ALL.

> >If you have double basals than that it will require more battery power.

> What's a "double basal"?

Since I can read and subtract you can add in add. I gave my basal rates and
if *you* run double those numbers, it will take more power to deliver. My
total daily dose is from 26-30u. That doesn't take as much power as someone
with a TDD of 60-80 or more.

> >I always *prime* my tubing by hand, and it takes mostly less than 2u to
> >see the drip coming out the canula when taking up the slack in the pump.
> I'm not sure what you mean. After changing the catheter or cannula, how do
> you prime? How do you fill the cannula with insulin so that you can see it
> exit the needle before you insert?

I push the insulin through the tubing by hand until I see a drip. I put the
reservoir in the pump, put the levers down, then run a prime of 10u to see a
new drip come out. I stop the priming as soon as the drip is large enough
for me to know those arms are *set* with no slack. It's usually about 2u or
less. Setting it at 10 is easy since I press the Down arrow to start with
the largest number - which is 10 on my pump.

> Yes, but I only saw 6 weeks per battery set when I let them run to the
> low-battery-alarm. And, again, my perception of the "average" battery life
> claimed on the IP list is 6 weeks. I could be wrong...

Since you saw only 6 weeks and change them at 4, why not run them for 5 and
get an extra week?

> >If I forgot something useful, I'll get up at 3:00 in the morning (when
> >I'll think of it) and send it on also. (~_^)

> How about setting your alarm? Maybe now's a good time to change the
> in your alarm clock! <g>

NO! I wouldn't set an alarm to think of something, I would think of it in my
sleep and it would probably be 3:00 a.m.  - that's usually when I come up
with things I can't recall (Hillary Syndrome) and can't get back to sleep
from the thrill of realization. <VBG>

> Thanks very much for your full response, Jan.
> regards, Andy

Suuure, However, this reply was snipped. (~_^)

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle