Re: [IP] Re: Batteries

Jan Hughey wrote:
> > Eveready (Energizer) says that right here:
> >http://data.energizer.com/datasheets/library/primary/silver/357.pdf
>I dunno know what it says right there since I got a blank page 2x when
>clicking on it.

In front of the blank page, there should be a "File Download" window that
asks if you'd like to "Open this file from its current location" or "Save
this file to disk." If you have installed the Adobe Acrobat Reader on your
computer, you can see the file immediately by choosing the first option. If
you do not have the Acrobat reader, choose the second option (which may be
chosen by default), download the file, and then head over to Adobe to get
the free reader:

The Eveready site can also be navigated via this link:

>I've been reading since I was about 6 y/o and my Eveready packages of 357
>batteries say z-i-n-c.

OK, your eyes check out fine. <g> I suspect we're using the same batteries.
They are usually called "silver oxide" button batteries, but they are
sometimes referred to as "silver oxide zinc" or (Zn/Ag(subscript-2)O). Is
that what your packages say?

>I don't understand why you want to avoid the LO BATTERY alarm? It's a LO
>battery, not a NO battery alarm. I'm too *frugal* to toss out functioning

For simplicity. I feel I'm inviting problems when I use a battery that may
be low for an essential medical device. I change the battery on the same
day I perform a number of other maintenance steps, so it makes my life with
the pump a bit easier to manage. Also, these batteries are _cheap_. Some of
us get them for free, but those that have to pay can get good ones for
$0.80-$1 each from on-line sources. That's an out-of-pocket yearly expense
of (at most) $36 for a device that keeps me alive. (I'm worth it! <g>)

>I have a friend who changes every battery in her clocks, etc. when one
>goes bad. To each his own. ;)

It certainly simplifies management of clock batteries in *that* household. <g>

I change the battery in my smoke alarm every year. I don't wait for the low
battery alarm to sound.

If the device is essential to health or well-being, I change the battery
per a schedule in order to avoid low battery alarms. With my pump, I have
not seen a low battery alarm since I started changing batteries monthly.

>I used to get them from MiniMed through insurance ... I got them at Radio
>Shack (@ $2.97) and they ran out ... I went ... down to the supermarket
>... I ... went to one of their other stores in the same local chain

Then you're getting batteries from a variety of traditional sources, so
their longevity has nothing to do with your source of supply.

> > Do you mark down when you change your batteries so that you know how long
> > they last
>I did ... out of curiosity. After a few times I didn't keep track anymore

Since you sure know how to read, it's a good bet you know how to subtract.
<g> I'll trust your numbers.

> > Do you *always* see 8-12 week battery life? Have you *ever* seen less?
>I don't think I have seen less

I must admit I don't understand this at all. From what I've seen on the IP
list, most people get 6 weeks (or less) from 357 batteries. You
consistently get 8-12. I believe you, but I don't understand AT ALL.

> > How many boluses do you deliver on an average day?
>Four - maybe five.

So your use of the pump is "standard."

>I have recently learned to use the square/dual wave boluses. I was using
>an added temp basal to do the same thing. I'd think they would use the
>same power.

I believe you're right, but I'm not a pump power consumption expert.

> > Is there anything "special" about how you use your pump that would explain
> > why the batteries last as long as they do?
>Yeah - I'm *frugal* and don't use the backlight

I don't ever use the backlight either, except when I occasionally press the
button by accident.

>If you have double basals than that it will require more battery power.

What's a "double basal"?

>I always *prime* my tubing by hand, and it takes mostly less than 2u to
>see the drip coming out the canula when taking up the slack in the pump.

I'm not sure what you mean. After changing the catheter or cannula, how do
you prime? How do you fill the cannula with insulin so that you can see it
exit the needle before you insert?

>Any time I can do something for my pump w/o making it *beep* helps
>conserve battery power. Certainly not changing them until they give
>warning helps get more use out of them.

Yes, but I only saw 6 weeks per battery set when I let them run to the
low-battery-alarm. And, again, my perception of the "average" battery life
claimed on the IP list is 6 weeks. I could be wrong...

>If I forgot something useful, I'll get up at 3:00 in the morning (when
>I'll think of it) and send it on also. (~_^)

How about setting your alarm? Maybe now's a good time to change the battery
in your alarm clock! <g>

Thanks very much for your full response, Jan.

regards, Andy