[IP] RE: "Question"

>> Our daughter is 4 and we are  preparing to ask her endo to start
>> her on the pump. She is somewhat excited over the idea. Her endo
>> is NOT pro-pump for small kids, in fact the youngest pumper is
>> 5 or 6 and they only started her because her parents (like we will
>> probably do) demanded that they let her pump. How can we convince
>> him? Anybody?? HELP!!!

Hi Jodi and Dennis,

This is kind of a long response, but your mail really hit home with me!
I started my son Ryan on a pump when he was 3. My endo at the time would
not work with me. Their youngest pumper was 7 or 8, they did not have
experience on toddlers, and they felt too overbooked to learn. They just
would not work with me at all. I finally researched endos myself, and
found an endo in Los Angeles, CA that did a lot of work with younger
kids. I went to her to start my son pumping (we live in Oregon, so it
was not a simple switch), but it was worth it!!

I got my pediatrician to refer me to the other endo, and write an OK
for the pump, so insurance would cover everything. I got him to listen
to me by printing out results from this IP website. There is some great info
about A1c improvements on the stats page (bring that along with info about
the DCPT study). I also talked to him about my concerns that my son
is forming cognitively NOW. And for gods-sake, if they can prove a better
breakfest affects learning, than you can be pretty sure that having your
blood sugar in range does also! That was probably the most compelling

>> what convinced you to start pumping?
With me it was my concern over his development. My local endo kept saying
there was no proof that tight control at this age does anything to
reduce long-term complications. I said screw that, I am worried about his
short-term development. You can't tell me he has the same focus at
300 that he does at 120. I have a very active boy, the last thing he
needs is blood sugar affecting his mood!

>> what have your best/worst experiences on the pump?
The best has been FREEDOM - who wants to give up Poptarts for breakfest?!
They have calcium now you know :) Also, having a lower A1c, and more even
control, has improved his mood. I have my baby boy back (although he is
4 and a half now, and will quickly tell you he is NOT a baby!).

The worst has been accidental disconnects. It has only happened a few
times. The most recent was when he was changing at bedtime. He
accidentally pulled his cannula out, and put the tape back down without
telling anyone. So we thought everything was fine. During a routine
check a few hours later I caught him at 450.

I think it is extremely important to never go more than a few hours
without a test. We never go more than 4 hours, normally no more than 3.
I think it is crucial that young kids on the pump (who can't feel highs
and lows) get at *least* 8 blood tests a day.

>> Pro or cons of the Minimed pump ( probably the pump that she will be
We use the MM508 and love it. We dilute to U50, which it has a setting for.
His doses are small enough that we need to dilute, but YMMV.

Mom to Ryan (4 years old and pumping since 8/17/00)
and Celia (seven and non-diabetic)