Re: [IP] Animas Pump

(pardon me if this is a duplicate post . . . I just got a message that it
bounced from email @ redacted (System Administrator), so I am
reposting it . . . )

In a message dated 10/13/2001 10:47:50 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I have been considering an Animas Pump.  My nutritionist/dietitian (who
>  care of the pumpers in the office I go to) is dead against the Animas
> and
>  has even gone so far as to call Animas to tell them not to call me
>  Has anyone else run into this problem?  Any suggestions?

I have no clue where your RD gets off calling them and telling them to stop
calling you.  Completely inappropriate in my book.  If she'd done that to
I'd have been outraged, and expected either a sincere apology or to be
assigned a new RD . . .

We were the first family to choose Animas at the Barbara Davis Center for
Childhood DIabetes (it's the newest of the pump makers, with the R-1000
having been on the market for a little under 2 years).  At the BDC, they
a little hesitant at first -- mostly because they really didn't know the
Animas pump, but also because they'd been fed some erroneous information
about it's features.  But, we'd done our own research into the available
pumps prior to choosing Animas, and helped educate them  (at the BDC) about
all the features this pump has to offer (like waterproof, the lowest basal
dose increments, ease of operation, four basal profiles, etc.) . . .

In the end, the pump coordinator there said "You've picked a nice little

And we've been totally satisfied with our Animas pump and the service
ever since . . .

The bottom line is that ALL the pumps sold in the US are good pumps and they

each have different things to offer.  Choosing which pump to go with should
be a decision made BY THE PUMPER who will be wearing it and based on his/her

personal needs and preferences.  Don't let your RDs "fear of the unfamiliar"

limit YOUR choices -- you need to pick the pump that's right for you!

PumpMama to Katie (age 10)