Re: [IP] Is there a problem with Mexican food?

Sometimes, when you change your pump site right before bed, or sometime
when you can't look often for bubbles, my sugars sky-rocket. It is
because even though you think there are no bubbles in the syringe, small
amounts of air can come in from the tubing connection, and from the seal
in the plunger.

This is one of the reasons it is better to change your pump around lunch,
or in the morning, so you will have time to check it.

>From: email @ redacted >Reply-To: email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: [IP] Is there a problem with Mexican
food? >Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:17:32 EDT > >Hi all, > >I have an
experience to relate, then a question (sorry this is kinda long). > >I
have had a bad weekend, after a month of pretty perfect blood sugars. (I
>started the pump on 9/15.) On Saturday I woke up with a bg of 110. About
30 >minutes after that, I commented to my boyfriend that my abdomen hurt;
it felt >like mild cramps from my period. It got worse over the next
couple of hours, >to the point that I was hunched over with abdominal
pain. I tested my blood >about 3 hours after my first morning reading and
my bg was 350. (I hadn't >eaten a thing.) > >I'm sure you experienced
pumpers would know right away what this was, but in >my 23 years of
diabetes, I have never had ketones that caused any symptoms >like that.
The only thing I could remember from my reading about >ketoacidosis was
to worry about nausea and vomiting (which come later, and >abdominal pain
is an early symptom). So, wanted to mention this in case it >helps anyone
else. (BTW, I was using a QuickSet sample that I had inserted >the night
before. When I looked at the tubing after my high reading, it had >large
pockets of air (not bubbles...inches of air pockets). I did prime the
>tubing and do all the steps, so am not sure why this happened. I had to
>insert the QuickSet without the inserter, because I only received one
sample >from MiniMed, so could that be the problem? > >Now my question. I
woke up this morning with a bg of 330! Argghh. When I >went to bed, it
was 72. However, I did have Mexican food last night--first >time I've
tried it since the pump. I had one chicken enchilada and one >cheese
quesadilla, that's it. (oh, and about 8-10 chips) I'm wondering if >my
high bg is food-related? Anyone have problems with Mexican? I don't feel
>like this was a very big meal, and it wouldn't *seem* to be super high
in >fat, but I guess you never know what they've put in the sauces, etc.
I have >no reason at this point to suspect my pump or tubing or site. I
would >appreciate any ideas. > >thanks! >Leeann