[IP] Surgery & pumping

I'm new to the group, but I wanted to tell you about my bypass surgery.
 I'm from Pennsylvania, but because of my small blood vessels they sent
me to Washington Hospital Center near DC for a study with radiation and
angioplasties. I asked if I could keep my pump on while they did the
angioplasty.  They agreed to let me and they taped it to my leg.  During
 the procedure, the blood vessel kept collapsing.  They woke me long
enough to tell me that they needed to do a bypass and had to ask my
permission.  They kept the pump taped to my leg during the whole bypass.
  I was glad, because the stress of the procedure kept my blood sugars
over 300 for a number of days and I'm sure it would have been even
higher without it.  I was lucky because the endocrinologist on staff had
 diabetes and wore a pump too.  He worked with me to get my blood sugars
 back down to normal.  I really like him and I'm sorry he doesn't
practice up here where I live.  Pam
Pamela J. Robbins
My web page:  http://mail.vet.upenn.edu/~probbins/