[IP] RE: Battery warning

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 08:12:25 -0500, Sherry Compton writes:

>I know this has probably been covered before, but I wanted to give a warning
about the little batteries for the MM 508. There is a >link to a discount
store where they sell for Sony batteries $.99 each, but you may want to go
ahead and pay more. I bought >twelve.  The first three I used, the battery
alarm went off and less than five minutes later they were dead.  I usually get
a whole day >out of them after the alarm. Then the next three just died in the
middle of the night with no warning. I woke up to >"screech", ?"screech",
"screech".  I thought it was the smoke alarm. (I did check my pump and it
>its okay.)
>So I don't pay the price that MiniMed wants for its nine pack--$26 is a
little much. I do go to the local battery warehouse and buy >Energizer for
$1.29 each.  They seem to do just fine, last the same amount of time as the MM
ones, and don't die unexpectedly.

>Sherry C
>From the massive city of Bowling Green, KY

I had the same problem when buying batteries from the Wal-Mart jewelry
department($2.97 each).  They were Energizer 357 equivalents -- and the
electronics department was out of Energizer batteries ($1.97 each).  (I buy
them there when I run out at home).  My pump started giving me a low battery
alarm - and then suddenly went blank.  I'd tilt it a little bit - it would
come back on and work for a few minutes til it would beep and then go blank
again.  I stopped the next store I passed - a Walgreen's -- and they had the
Energizer batteries.  I called MiniMed when I got home -- and they said the
batteries from teh jewelry department ARE NOT silver oxide -- which the
Energizer 357 batteries are.  They MUST be silver oxide to work correctly.

This is what I found out in the same situation.

Deb in Southern Illinois