Re: [IP] Animas Pump versus Minimed Pump

In a message dated 10/11/2001 4:39:54 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I am interested in hearing from any Animas pump users (or former users)
>  their experiences with Animas.

We did a lot of research and
decided that Animas was the best available pump currently available (based on
our needs and preferences).  Here are some of the reasons we chose it:

-- WATERPROOF:  We felt strongly that this was an essential feature and
actual use has proven this to be true for us.  Being waterproof means you
don't NEED to disconnect, even though you CAN if you choose to.

--  EASY TO USE:  The Animas pump is menu driven, so you don't have to
memorize anything to operate it -- we haven't even cracked the manual since
Katie started pumping on the first of June.  My ten year old had it mastered
very quickly, even use of the "advanced" features .  .  .  What's really
great is that this ease of use wasn't achieved by limiting the pumps
capabilities -- this pump has all the bells and whistles we were looking for
(and even some that we haven't needed yet).

-- EASY TO OPERATE:  Filling and changing cartridges and batteries, etc. is
also really easy -- this is something that I hadn't really thought about when
first researching the various pumps.  Also, the Animas pump uses standard
batteries that I can buy locally, not some proprietary batteries that I can
only get from
the manufacturer.  Even though I do get our batteries from Animas, it's nice
to know I can run out to Target or Wlamart & pick some up in a pinch . . .

-- PRECISION & SAFETY:  In fine tuning Katie's basal rates, we found that
being able to adjust them in increments of .05 units per hour made a
noticeable difference in keeping her glucose levels extremely stable during
the night (all the other pumps only work in .1 increments).  The Animas pump
has the most sensitive occlusion detection system and performs 1,000 safety
checks per minute (hence the "1000" in it's name).  We also like the fact
that it doesn't have the static electricity problems that I've heard about
from a number of MM pumpers

--  BASALS:  We like that that Animas pump delivers basal doses of insulin
every three minutes and we especially being able to have multiple basal
profiles (up to four) pre-programmed so that we can easily switch from one to
the other (like on days when her monthly hormone cycle makes her significatly
more insulin resistent).  We also use the temporary basal feature (by % --
plus or minus) A LOT on days when Katie is exercising -- she loves being able
to just lower her basals instead of having to eat right before exercising
(like she had to do
on shots in order to keep from going low).

-- BEST LOOKING (In my Daughter's Opinion):  The Animas pump looks like a
pager (and is about the same size).  My daughter mostly wears hers with the
clip that let's it hang on her waistband however she likes
(horizontal/vertical), but it's the interchangeable fashion covers and cover
stickers that she really loves . . . somehow that makes the pump more
personal and less like some medical device . . .

We love the Animas pump and have been very pleased with the quality of
service we've experienced, both before and after the "sale."  Everyone we've
dealt with at Animas has been helpful, knowledgeable, and just plain nice.

That said -- they are all good pumps and I firmly believe that this very
personal choice should be made by the person who will be pumping -- not their
medical team, and DEFINITELY not their insurance company .  .  . Don't simply
settle . . .

PumpMama to Katie (age 10) happily pumping with her Animas pump "Elvis" since
6-1-01 (first post pump A1c = 6.1 -- with 7.4 being the best we ever got on