Re: [IP] Working out and Insulin pumps

--- Michael <email @ redacted> wrote:
> > This is what I was told to do:
> > Suspend the pump and disconnect 1 hour before
> working
> > out and leave it off 1 hour after I workout.
>
> this is highly dependent on the individual and the
> demands you put on
> your body during the work out. many folks find that
> their bg's rise
> rapidly when they work out due to the demands put on
> there metabolism
> by the need for energy. When muscles burn carbs,
> they need insulin to
> use it. If the free insulin levels are too low, the
> liver will dump
> carbs resulting in a rapid increase of bg's when
> exercising. The flip
> side of this is that exercise burns lots of carbs.
> For some people
> this means that bg's go low rapidly during strenuous
> exercise. This
> can be different for the SAME person doing different
> kinds of
> exercise. There is no hard fast rule that works for
> everyone every
> time, you must find out what your body needs and
> adapt to that
> requirement -- that's where and insulin pump is
> GREAT!!!
>
> For those individuals that experience highs when
> exercising, a small
> carb snack prior to exercise with insulin to match
> or as required
> determined by your experience will provide the
> needed free blood
> insulin levels to prevent the exercise induced high.
> In general, it
> has been reported that almost everyone has reduced
> insulin needs
> after exercise, the harder the exercise, the longer
> the period of
> reduced insulin requirement. Your doc's medical team
> should know
> about these things, so it is a good idea to consult
> with them.
>
> Michael
> email @ redacted
> how true Michael.  I run and need to watch that i
dont go low.  I eat breakfast and cut my bolus by 1/6
then run an hour later after drinking 15 carbs.  this
seems to work unless i'm going to a race,  then i take
my regular bolus and usually have to bolus again to
get below 250 to run the race.  Same exercise,
different emotions.  Oh what a puzzle it