Re: [IP] Boluses for high-fat meals

> Michael,
> I couldn't agree with you more. I am working through a pizza now. I
> had calibrated one pazza house: 3 slices for 8 insulin units and I
> am ok maybe some needed later, at 11-12. Tonight we ordered from
> another pizza house. I knew when I saw it I was in trouble. 3 slices
> at 8:30 p.m. with 20 units of insulin, at 10:00 p.m. BS was 280,add
> 8 more units units of insulin, at 11:30 p.m. BS was 279, add 6 more
> units of insulin. Its about 1:14 A.M.

They are all different due the great variability of ingredients.
We've found that at any one pizza place (and usually for all the same
chain stores) that the bolus amounts will stay relatively the same
from pizza to pizza -- as long as it is the same kind. The ones you
must look out for are the frozen kind from the grocery stores. They
really skimp on the cheese and the effect is not anywhere as great as
you would expect from a "parlor" pizza -- easy to get a low if you
don't watch out