Re: [IP] Working out and Insulin pumps

> This is what I was told to do:
> Suspend the pump and disconnect 1 hour before working
> out and leave it off 1 hour after I workout.

this is highly dependent on the individual and the demands you put on
your body during the work out. many folks find that their bg's rise
rapidly when they work out due to the demands put on there metabolism
by the need for energy. When muscles burn carbs, they need insulin to
use it. If the free insulin levels are too low, the liver will dump
carbs resulting in a rapid increase of bg's when exercising. The flip
side of this is that exercise burns lots of carbs. For some people
this means that bg's go low rapidly during strenuous exercise. This
can be different for the SAME person doing different kinds of
exercise. There is no hard fast rule that works for everyone every
time, you must find out what your body needs and adapt to that
requirement -- that's where and insulin pump is GREAT!!!

For those individuals that experience highs when exercising, a small
carb snack prior to exercise with insulin to match or as required
determined by your experience will provide the needed free blood
insulin levels to prevent the exercise induced high. In general, it
has been reported that almost everyone has reduced insulin needs
after exercise, the harder the exercise, the longer the period of
reduced insulin requirement. Your doc's medical team should know
about these things, so it is a good idea to consult with them.