I am not sure if anyone has posted this but I have just read it and thought
it might help some air travelers on this list.

http://diabetes.org - - UNDER THE IN THE NEWS SECTION

- - - - - - - - - - - -

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has implemented stepped-up
security measures at the nation's airports in response to last month's
tragic events. Some of the new security measures may affect airline
passengers with diabetes. The American Diabetes Association recognizes the
added inconvenience this may pose for individuals with diabetes, but
understands the necessity to secure airline passenger safety.

Below please find a list of the most current information that the
Association has received regarding people with diabetes who need to fly with
their supplies and equipment within the 50 United States. We received this
in formation verbally from a representative of the Federal Aviation
Administration's Aviation, Security Policy & Planning Division (Washington,
D.C. headquarters). We have been told that the FAA will be issuing the
security measures to air carriers within a few days in the form of a
"security directive."

1.  Passengers may board with syringes or insulin delivery systems only if
they can produce a vial of insulin with a professional, pharmaceutical pre-
printed label which clearly identifies the medication. No exceptions will be

Since the prescription label is on the outside of the box containing the
vial of insulin, the FAA recommends that passengers refrain from discarding
their insulin box and come prepared with their vial of insulin in its
original pharmaceutically labeled box

2.  For passengers who have diabetes and must test their blood glucose
levels but who do not require insulin, boarding with their lancets is
acceptable as long as the lancets are capped, and as long as the lancets are
brought on with the glucose meter that has the manufacturer's name embossed
on the meter (i.e. One Touch meters say "One Touch," Accucheck meters say

3.  Glucagon is dispensed and normally kept in a pre-printed labeled plastic
container or box. We advise those people with diabetes who are traveling to
keep their glucagon kit intact in its original pre-printed pharmaceutically
labeled container.

4. Contrary to what we were told previously, because of forgery concerns,
prescriptions and letters of medical necessity will not be accepted.

5.  FAA security measures apply to travel within the 50 United States only.
Passengers should consult their individual air carrier for both domestic
(US) and international travel regulations. Be advised that the FAA's policy
and the policy of each airline is subject to change.

The above list of measures is a minimum requirement only and air carriers
may have other requirements that may impact a passenger's ability to board
with diabetes equipment and supplies.

Accordingly, the FAA and the Association strongly urge each passenger to
call the airline carrier at least one day in advance of his or her scheduled
flight to confirm what that airline's policy is with regard to diabetes
medication and supplies. Be advised that each airline's policy is subject to

The Association has received a small number of complaints from passengers
who have encountered difficulty when trying to pass through airport security
with syringes and lancets. Should a passenger be denied boarding a flight or
be faced with any other unforeseen diabetes related difficulty because of
security measures, he or she should ask to speak to the security screener's
supervisor or contact the FAA grounds security commissioner at the departing

In addition, please contact the American Diabetes Association at
703-549-1500 x-2108 so that we may be kept informed of airline protocols and
security measures. The Civil Aviation Security division of the FAA may also
be contacted at 202-267-9863.

The Association will continue to monitor this situation and keep you
informed of new developments.

Heidi Williams ~ Program Director
Serving Washington & Northern Idaho
Ph:  206/282-4616 / 1-888-DIABETES ext. 7203
FAX:  206/282-4729  E-mail:  email @ redacted
Visit us on the Web!  www.diabetes.org

Cure. Care. Commitment.
That's your American Diabetes Association