[IP] Boluses for high-fat meals

Until I joined this list, I never realized that high-fat and high-protein
meals may be responsible for bg increases as late as 4-5 hours after the
meal!  Now that I know this from your posts, and have been looking back at my
circled bg's (I circle my unexplained ones), I see that the ones I can't
explain are due to this factor.

So, here's my question.  How in the world do you decide even what to try in
terms of a bolus?  Unlike carbohydrates, we have no information on how much
insulin is required by a gram of fat or protein, right?  So I don't even know
how to guess!

For example:  This morning I had an English muffin and a chicken-apple
sausage.  I took 2 units for the English muffin.  Perfect bg's until 5 hours
after breakfast, when I was 195, then rising to 246 thirty minutes later.
Obviously it's the 13g of fat in the sausage.  :-|

I don't think I want to do an extended bolus, because my bg was right on
target until 5 hours later.  I'm thinking of giving a bolus 3-4 hours after
the high-fat meal (have no idea how much but I'll play with it)...would that

Any opinions/advice welcome!  I realize YMMV, but I could use some ideas.