Re: [IP] Question

> --another question especially for  those with young kids on the pump, but
> hey..anyone can answer...I know you can all help this list has been a
> learning tool already!
> what convinced you to start pumping?
> what have your best/worst experiences on the pump?

I'm an *anyone* - but what convinced me to start the pump was my severe
neuropathy and fear I was headed for certain amputation - about 20 years
ago. I started pumping back then with a monster the size of a checkbook box
that had one basal rate and delivered in whole units only. There was no
memory/history recorded internally, either. I thought this was a tool to
help me have better control even though I was given no hope for the 30 years
previous to that time.

My best experience: This may seem odd, but I have met some really great
people because of the pump. Other than that, my neuropathy has greatly
subsided and over the last 2 years (pumping 18) I have achieved HbA1c's in
the low 6's. I'm learning how to *really* pump from the 'net. I could not
sleep in, nor skip meals, nor *add* extra meals before pumping. I'm in
control of my life - not a long-acting insulin.

My worst experience? I had a bent canula once which cut off the insulin
supply and wasn't on the 'net then to know how to handle it. I did not go to
the hospital but was over 600 BG and vomiting lots. I called MiniMed and
they sent me a SofSerter to make sure the SofSets go in straight. I've had
no problem with that since.

> Pro or cons of the Minimed pump ( probably the pump that she will be

My first 2 pumps delivered insulin boluses very quickly and I had a lot of
pain. The MiniMeds deliver the insulin slowly which is why I stay with MM.
It is (most are) the size of 3/4" stack of business cards and can be very
discreet. The 508 has a remote control that can be used if desired to
operate a hidden pump.

Whichever pump you choose, it will be because it fits Cassidy's and your
needs. Check all the pumps out (like a car) before deciding. Have her pick a
name out for her pump since it will be her best friend. (~_^)

> Thanks already,
> Jodi and Dennis
> parents to Cassidy 4 yrs old and ready to pump whenever the endo will let
> her!
> dx in 4/00

Even the most well-intentioned family member can't truly understand what it
means to live with diabetes day in and day out - IP teenager